29 July 2009

Beer Poached Jambalaya

Tonight was a first go of beer-poached jambalaya. The recipe is extracted from this excellent work - Cooking With Booze which I highly recommend as being worth the $20.

  • Chorizo (well, I substituted Hot Italian due to supply issues) Sausages
  • Shrimp
  • Chicken Breasts
  • Rice, Bell Peppers, Onions
  • Minced Garlic, Thyme, Oregano, Bay Leaves, Chili Powder, Hot Pepper Seeds
  • 24 oz. Dark Ale (Warsteiner in my case)
  • Chicken Stock and Crushed Tomatos
  • Instant Rice
  • Jalapeno Pepper (my addition for heat)
The end result was a hearty tomato-based stew with lots of protein that was very tasty. Makes enough for six normal sized servings or 4 very hearty ones. Would be excellent accompanying a cold beer or a sparkling or white wine with some fruity flavour as a counterpoint.

Cooking time is around 40 minutes and you can try to do the prep as you go or ahead of time. I think the entirety would be about an hour or hour and ten minutes.

A good multigrain bread or flatbread would make a nice accompanyment. Something like a fruit pastry with some whipped cream or ice cream would make a good desert and cool the palate.

While it cooked, I had myself a drink I must thank Kevin for introducing me to:
  • 341 mL (1 Can) Ginger Ale
  • 150 - 200 mL of Ginger Beer (Soda)
  • 1 to 2 oz. of Rum (your call on variety - I used Dark and it gave the whole a nice golden colour)
A slice of lime might have been a good garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment