Yesterday Catherine, Marissa Jane and myself had been busy - a tree went up, lights went on, ornaments were hung, and a true mountain of gifts were wrapped.
It had been a late night Friday as the three of us took in the remake of Annie. We all liked it though it had a more streetwise modern sensibility. MJ was up late...
In any event, we were all a bit tired as dinner time arrived, but had no plan for a meal. We contemplated picking something up and MJ wanted McDonalds.
It was then that I pointed out she could buy her own dinner having earned a gift card by hard work at school.
Marissa then realized she could buy everyone including her grandfather (Opa in German} dinner.
I have never seen a child so excited to be able to buy dinner. This was likely her first time. She raced off to loudly ask Opa if he'd come out for a free meal!
When we arrived at the restaurant, she told her mother "Leave yoir purse in the car, you don't need it!".
As it turns out, she hasn't quite grasped the entirety of costs, so her $20 gift card would only feed her and Opa, but it was the glee we all saw at being able to treat her people that was magical.
Self I sufficiency is indeed a glorious feeling. I am glad she is discovering that as well as the gift of giving.
She has been setting aside about 25% of her allowance for a month and a half for Christmas charity donation.
She's a good kid. I am lucky to have her in my life to be able to share these moments.

No comments:
Post a Comment