06 December 2008

Rest in Peace, Boys.

Three members of the Canadian Forces who work with the Afghan National Army were killed by a massive roadside bomb, presumably placed by the Taliban. The Taliban aren't freedom fighters, they're opium traffickers and murderers. Anyone whose honour is flexible enough to allow cowardly bombings deserves to be put down like a rabid dog.

God rest the souls of our soldiers, hold their families close, and give the remaining comrades over there the courage to persevere in the face of such threats.

3 Brave Canadians Die Making A Difference

No one can beat our boys in a straight up fight and the murderous Taliban know that. Whatever place those Taliban scumbags go after dying, I hope it is eternally agonizing.

To anyone who wants to criticize our equipment: Anything that will blast a crater 9 meters (28') deep into Afghan soil and will hurl a vehicle (of whatever type and mass) 80 meters (260') isn't going to be survivable in any sort of equipment I'm familiar with. That's a ludicrously powerful explosion.

My friend Robert, a MARS Officer from HMCS Cataraqui in Kingston, just left this weekend for Kandahar for a posting to KAF coordinating the guys who coordinate various efforts to help rebuild Afghanistan and give it the robustness and the integrity to stand with less assistance from NATO and the UN as time goes by. Robert just left his newborn son Jack behind with his wife and I know that was not easy.

Robert earns my respect every time he separates himself from his normal life and goes off on a posting in the service of the Canadian public, helping to secure them from terrorism or now going off to a foreign land to help provide security and facilitate rebuilding.

I hope he comes home safe and sound to his little boy. But I know, one way or another, he knows he and his comrades are doing a job worth doing. And I think everyone in the Canadian public should understand. Soldiers don't pick their missions, they go where our Government, acting in Canadian interests and with a mandate from the Canadian public, sends them. Most of us won't do as much for our fellow Canadians in our lifetimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment