11 May 2009

Mother's Day at the Homestead

A late arrival caused by some shopping challenges encouraged a late start to dinner. After 2 solid hours of preparation an early cooking stages, the meal went into the 'simmer for two hours' phase.

The final meal was:
  • Garlic and Butter Mashed Potatos
  • Steamed Asparagus
  • Tomb's 3B Guiness Brazed Beef (3B = Beer, Beef, Bacon!) : Included bacon, carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, thyme, Guiness (in my case had to add a little gooseberry ale since I was about half a can short on the Guiness), a splash of port, a wee bit of salt, pepper, montreal steak spice, flour and canola oil (for searing the beef), fresh minced garlic, beef stock, and (in this case) a cubed round roast of beef - with a four stage cooking process.
  • Desert was a Panna Cotta with a Blueberry and Peach Compote : Didn't make this one - President's Choice, comes in individual portions you have to unthaw and attempt to decant without disaster - and it is the first cousin of a Creme Brulee since Panna Cotta is cooked cream.
All in all, an excellent meal.

While the meal was simmering, I walked Mom through a bit more of the 'Computers 101' course - she has some awful trouble keeping the cursor from moving away from her text insertion point - I think it may be touch pad related. I may have to disable the touch pad and go for an external mouse or at least disable the tap-to-click aspect of the trackpad. Getting a more visible cursor set may also be necessary.

She tried to send out her first email and did so, albeit with some pretty painful stages. Think yourself privileged, Douglas! I know she plans to try to respond to Alan, Toni, Kevin, James, etc. as she is able (that may yet be a while). A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step, but it sure takes a while to come to an end. :0)

Anyway, a good time visiting the parents. A good day. Mom didn't have to cook and Dad could eat with his dodgy teeth. So a general win, although I made no progress on my table construction project this day (much like many other visits recently).

On the side of concern, Dad is going in for Dental Surgery Tuesday. I'd be lying if I didn't say my anxiety level is uncomfortably high. I just don't seem to be able to batten down the uptight feeling I have about this and it is rather unpleasant. It needs done and the GP has given her go ahead, but he's the only Dad I've got and I want him around for a long time more. Of course, I want him not to be suffering and he needs to get some teeth fixed.

So if you are the sort to pray, say a few for my Dad. If you aren't the sort to pray, at least think about it being a positive outcome. I'm not sure we can impact the universe in such ways, but it is always wise to hedge your bets....

1 comment:

  1. I decided to make apple bread pudding with homemade whipped cream for Rhonda's Mother, served after a main course of medium rare steak with baked potatoes, traditional Tabouleh salad and mixed vegetables.

    The Bread pudding turned out well but you need to serve it with Whisky Sauce for it to be truly sinful.

    ReplyDelete