22 January 2009

It is the new year and I'm out of work!

Well, 2009 is here. And I'm finally completed the project I was on that seemed to stagger on in fits and starts. That's a bit of a relief actually, although I hope to go back to work soon somewhere.

I'm going to take a bit of time to build a table I had planned to construct in December, finish getting my mom a workable computer for her use, finish setting up my apartment and hanging art, do some gaming of various forms, read some books, catch up on some sleep, do some work on my car, catch up on some DVD watching, etc. And of course, put out some resumes, get financials sorted out, and go to interviews if and when.

I talked to my friend Robert via video conference from Kandahar while I was attending an engagement celebration for Kevin and Myriam in Kingston. Erica and little Jack showed up and so Rob got to see his wife and newborn via the vid link. Everyone at the party got to say hi to Rob and he got to wish Myriam and Kevin all the best. Operation successful. I wish I had the same feeling about our ops in Afghanistan.

I see Apple has taken DRM off the iTunes music. About time! It might (I read two seemingly contradictory sets of info on this) be a bit more expensive, but I'll pay that for DRM-free music tracks. I don't want them dictating where and how I can listen to my music. I'll still support artists worth supporting. I was on a buy-nothing-from-iTunes moratorium, but I have relaxed a bit. I wish they'd take the DRM off audio books next.

I hope all my friends are managing well this cold January and that 2009 has entered without too much chaos or disruption for everyone. I'm looking forward to starting to dig our countries out from under the mess that greed and stupidity created. It might take a while, but that means there is no time like now to get to work. And maybe we can avoid this sort of disaster again for another 80 years.

Anyway, my resolution for New Year is simple: To get in shape (in several respects) and to try to find Ms. Right wherever she is busily searching for me at present. Just like a female of the species to be lost and need some directions, but I make allowances. It is time to get out there and find her. Maybe this time, when I'm getting close, the vehicle won't explode in fiery rain... so much for using aluminum paint on the dirigible! (Historical reference: Hindenburg)

We'll see how it goes! Optimism is better than pessimism because you feel better about it, so that's the approach I'm sticking with!

2 comments:

  1. Mr Right is probably looking for you in Scotland. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm....that should be "MS Right".

    No, not MicroSoft Right.

    ReplyDelete